Edibles are the new entrant in the Canadian cannabis market, and if you are a regular cannabis user, you might want to try them out. Edibles are a great way to experience the effects of THC or CBD without inhaling any smoke.
While there are different forms of edibles available on the market, cannabutter is easy to use. You can cook your butter or buy premade. There are plenty of exciting recipes to use cannabutter in your favorites dishes.
Cannabutter and Wax Effects
Cannabutter is cannabis-infused butter, one of the most common ways to make your edibles at home.
Like any other edibles, cannabutter too takes time to kick in, about 45 minutes to two hours. When you smoke, the smoke’s active compound enters the lungs and gets absorbed into the bloodstream. It then travels to the brain. The time for this process is almost immediate so that you can feel the effect faster.
For edibles including cannabutter, the infused active compound enters the gut, travels to the liver from where it gets absorbed in the blood. Hence, it takes longer to kick in. However, if it is your first time, start with a small amount of cannabutter to determine how your body reacts to it. Wait for at least two hours before you take another dose. Increase your quantity slowly.
Cooking Up Cannabutter
Cannabutter is discreet, and once you master the process, you can quickly churn your cannabutter. To make it at home, take a baking pan and break down the weed into small flakes. Preheat the oven, place the pan in the oven, and bake the weed for 45 minutes or until the weed changes its color to a deep brownish-green. This is called decarboxylation.
Now, take a saucepan, and mix butter and water at very low heat. Once the butter melts, add the decarboxylated weed and let it simmer for at least four hours. Keep stirring to ensure it doesn't burn. Switch off the heat, strain the mixture, and refrigerate it. Your cannabutter is ready for use.
Alternatively, you can opt for something premade and buy cannabutter and wax in CA at any local cannabis dispensary. The premade cannabutter is unsalted butter, which is infused with cannabis components. To make it at home, you need to activate the THC and CBD components from the dry cannabis flower and infuse it with butter. While the THC and CBD components are not soluble in water, the fat of butter is a natural carrier of cannabinoids.
Weed brownies are the most common ways to consume cannabutter. However, you don't need to limit yourself to only pot brownies, but you can get creative and add more dishes to your menu.
- Green Egg and Ham Sandwich: The easiest way to consume cannabutter is ham and egg fried in cannabutter. Get your day started with this epic breakfast recipe. You will love this recipe because it is tasty, easy, and the simplest way to use your cannabutter.
- Caramel and Peanut Butter Cookies: These classic peanut butter cookies are another great way to use cannabutter creatively. Just replace the regular butter with cannabutter, and your caramel peanut butter cookies are ready. Just be mindful of the dosage if you’re replacing the regular butter with cannabutter.
- Chocolate Mud Cookies: Give an epic adult twist to your favorite chocolate mud cookies! Stir up some cannabutter infused chocolate ganache, crumb chocolate cookies of your choice, and of course, some gummy worms.
- Broccoli Cannabis Quiche: Another quick yet delicious recipe is broccoli cannabis quiche, which you can cook in a jiffy for a quick lunch. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Take a pan, melt cannabutter, and saute broccoli cubes, garlic, and onion. Once the vegetables are soft, take unbaked pie crust and spoon the veggies on it. Add shredded mozzarella. Combine milk and eggs, sprinkle salt and pepper and pour the mixture over the vegetables. Bake it for 30 minutes, and your dish is ready!
- Infused Naan Pizza: Skip prepping for pizza dough and try using naan as your crust! This easy recipe calls for brushed cannabutter on the naan, topped with a spoonful of marinara sauce, mozzarella, and pepperoni.
- Ganjabutter Gnocchi: Just like regular potato gnocchi but made with weed-infused butter. Start by boiling baking potatoes and combining olive oil, egg, baking powder, all-purpose flour, salt, and cannabutter in a separate bowl. Next, mash your potatoes and then add mashed potatoes to the flour mixture. Knead until you have a bread-like dough. Cut your gnocchi pieces, boil for a few minutes, drain, top with your choice of cheese, and enjoy!
- Ribeye with Chimichurri Sauce: Double the fun with this recipe! Add cannabis leaves directly to a traditional chimichurri sauce recipe. Follow up by topping a seared steak with cannabutter before adding the chimichurri.
- Green Macaroni and Cheese: This isn’t your average macaroni and cheese dish, and not just because it calls for cannabutter—this extra green pasta is made with a pesto sauce! You’ll need a food processor to whip up this homemade pesto sauce with spinach, basil, parsley, garlic, parmesan, and milk. While the elbow noodles cook, make a roux out of the cannabutter and flour, slowly adding the remaining milk and eventually the cheddar cheese. Combine all ingredients and transfer to under the broiler until golden brown and bubbly.
Cannabutter is one of the easiest ways to try edibles when exploring it for the first time. However, be mindful of the dosage; start with small portions and increase gradually to help you determine how your body reacts to it. You can use a cannabutter calculator to determine the amount of THC, CBD, and portion of cannabutter you should be using.