In the age of health care issues and anti tobacco sentiment, cigar sales are increasing. They are a far more healthy and less risky alternative to cigarettes or even the vapor smoking electronic cigarettes that can blow up in your face. While cigarette manufacturers infuse dangerous cancer causing chemicals into the cigarette which make it poisonous and addicting, the cigar is all natural pure tobacco. Pipe smoking is also becoming more popular as it is all natural as well (I have not tried pipe smoking as it seems like to much work and I am not sure I would do it correctly). Cigar smoking is fantastic as it tends towards not being addicting (some people can be addicted to anything), but quite relaxing for the individual looking for a reprieve from the day to day punishments of life.
There are many types and brands of cigars. While some are cheap and average or below average others can cost between six to fifteen dollars a cigar. The best way to buy cigars are in boxes so that you can find the best deal. Although Cuban cigars are raved about and certainly consistent in their quality, there are several non-Cuban brands that exist which are just as good. There are also different sizes ranging from the width or thickness of the cigar to the length. There are the Churchill sizes which are the longest and my favorite. They also have the torpedo shapes where the ends are pointed. There are dark, medium, and light cigars which have a lighter flavor or a stronger more robust flavor- much like coffees. There are even flavored cigars for those who like to experiment. Now that I have given you who are unfamiliar with the industry a very brief introduction to the cigar world let me introduce you to my favorites in no particular order-
- Gurkha- This brand was named after the Himalayan (Nepalese) soldiers that the British hired into their armies as they were fierce fighters. The great aspect about the Gurkha cigars is that not only are they great cigars and offer many different types but when they are purchased by the box they come in the most creative and classy cigar boxes imaginable. Here are some examples- [caption id=“attachment_11609” align=“alignnone” width=“760”] Gurkha Pan American[/caption] [caption id=“attachment_11610” align=“alignnone” width=“320”] Gurkha Warlord[/caption]
- ACID- These cigars from Drew Estate are infused with harmless herbs and oils to give a magnificent scent to your experience. My favorite is the KUBA KUBA, but all are quality cigars. [caption id=“attachment_11611” align=“alignnone” width=“400”] ACID Kuba Kuba[/caption]
- Cohiba- These are the more expensive line of cigars, but are incredibly high quality. [caption id=“attachment_11612” align=“alignnone” width=“400”] Cohiba[/caption]
- Partagas- Proudly known as one of the world’s oldest cigar brands, Partagas continues to be synonymous with quality handmade cigars. Partagas cigars are well-known for their rich character and well-balanced flavors. They began in Havana, Cuba but moved to the Dominican Republic while still maintaining their Cuban roots. My favorite is the Partagas (1845 Red Label) #10 Presidente. [caption id=“attachment_11613” align=“alignnone” width=“300”] Partagas[/caption]
- CAO- They offer many types and flavors but my favorite so far is the MX2. [caption id=“attachment_11614” align=“alignnone” width=“558”] CAO[/caption]
If you are a beginner, you will need a good cigar lighter and a cutter. Make sure to invest in the superb Xikar lighter and a higher quality cutter. This purchase will make your experience more enjoyable. You can also look online for outstanding deals for cheaper cigars, or you can stop by your local cigar store and walk into their humidor to hand pick a few of your favorites.
“Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man’s enjoyment of his cigar.” — Mark Twain