In Part 1 of this series, you were given just a taste of the many awesome places you can visit in the Lone Star state. These places and attractions included taking a ride down the Riverwalk in San Antonio and line dancing in Gruene. Here are even more of the best places you can visit in “deep in the heart of Texas!”
Even though Austin is the capital, it seems to have a completely different vibe than the rest of Texas. In the past couple years, people from all over have been moving to Austin. Many people have said it is basically a little California in the middle of the South. This city is known for its love for the outdoors, its hipster vibes, food trucks, and music scene. Here are the places you should visit in this awesome city.
- The Capitol Building
- Austin is the capitol of Texas so a trip to the capital building is a must! They say everything is bigger in Texas, and that applies to the capitol building. Texas' capitol building is bigger than the nation's capitol building in Washington D.C!
- 6th Street Bars
- If you feel like a night out, 6th street is a must! The awesome thing about Austin is that there are so many talented musicians out there, so you can enjoy a pretty good performance while having a drink with your friends.
- Austin is one of the few places in Texas where there are hills and places to climb. If you are planning on visiting Austin, make sure to hike around Mount Bonnell, Barton Creek Greenbelt, River Place Natural Trail, Turkey Creek Trail, and Wild Basin Wilderness Preserve.
- Austin City Limits
- Austin City Limits, popularly called ACL, is one of the most popular music festivals in the United States. This music festival is a multiple day festival that is so worth seeing. There is a variety of amazing artist that perform at this festival. Check and see the dates of this event at www.aclfestival.com.
- Franklin BBQ
- Renown food critic and chef Anthony Bourdain once said that, “[Franklin BBQ] is the best. It is the finest brisket I've ever had.” Bourdain is not the only one to have fallen in love with this nationally recognized BBQ joint. You can guarantee that there will be a line. There is not way of avoiding it, but hey, that is how you know it is good. It is so worth the wait. This will be the best BBQ you will ever have.
- Cathedral of Junk
- Austin is an artsy city. Walk through this glorious art attraction to get a taste of Austin's creative soul.
Houston is a very unique part of Texas. It plays host to one of the most famous things to come out of Texas: John Space Center
- Johnson Space Center and Space Center Houston – NASA
- “Houston, we have a problem.” Yes, the movie Apollo 13 was awesome, but being in the place where the real operations for sending people into space took place is unbelievable. You can walk behind and observe the room that helped get a man to the moon and where people are currently planning and executing current missions. Along with seeing training facilities and historic rooms, you can also learn a bunch in the main tourist center where they have actual rockets and space shuttles.