In the Seinfeld episode, The Burning, Puddy converts to Christianity and George reveals his secret about liking Contemporary Christian Music stating, “I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip.”
A new Pew Research Poll has shown that American are increasingly expressing warm feelings toward religious groups. While 18-29 year olds feel most warm to Buddhists at 66 degrees, Catholics fall not far behind with Hindus at 64 degrees. Protestants, Muslims and Atheists come in at around 58-59 degrees. With 30-49 year olds, we see a significant difference with Jews taking the top tier at 64 Degrees, Catholics at 62 degrees and Atheists (53 degrees) and Muslims (47 degrees) falling farther behind. Heading over the age of 50 all the way to 64 we see a little higher temperature towards Christians (64-68 degrees) and Jews (69 degrees) while Muslims and Atheists fall even further to 45 degrees. However, it is the elderly over 65 who have dwelt longer in the American Christian culture that holds the warmest feelings for Christians and Jews with all of them ranging between 67-75 degrees. Even Mormons hold their highest ranking with the elderly at 59 degrees. Overall Jews and Christians hold the warmest feelings from Americans while Muslims and Atheists have increased by almost 10 degrees since 2014.
Christianity is also rising in Atheist China with around 92 million followers- The majority being Protestant.
According to a 2015 Pew Research study, since Christianity ranks the highest and because the culture of the United States is increasingly becoming more secular and populated with non-Christians, then I thought that it would be appropriate to list some books that might help you understand your Christian neighbor, the way they think, and the way their faith seeks to be a rational system in the face of many who claim it as irrational.
- The Reason for God– Tim Keller, New York City, Pastor at Redeemer Presbyterian Church
- Making Sense of God- Tim Keller
- Jesus Among Secular Gods: The Countercultural Claims of Christ- Ravi Zacharias & Vince Vitale- For over thirty-five years, Ravi Zacharias has spoken all over the world in great halls and universities, notably Harvard, Princeton, and numerous universities internationally. He is listed as a Senior Research Fellow at Wycliffe Hall, Oxford university.
- Total Truth- Nancy Pearcey- Studied in Switzerland at L’Abri and holds an MA from Covenant Theological Seminary.
- Mere Christianity- C.S. Lewis- He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954, when he was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge University, a position he held until his retirement.
- The Story of Reality- Greg Koukl- Greg received his Masters in Philosophy of Religion and Ethics at Talbot School of Theology, and his Masters in Christian Apologetics from Simon Greenleaf University.
- Science & Religion- Alister McGrath- is a historian, biochemist, and Christian theologian born in Belfast, Northern Ireland. A longtime professor at Oxford University, he now holds the chair in theology, ministry, and education at the University of London.